Saturday 8 February 2014

I NEED TO GROW UP ( AND I AM ALMOST 70) by Bob Russell


I NEED TO GROW UP ( AND I AM ALMOST 70)  by Bob Russell


This past summer, I had two very humbling experiences. Both reminded me of my spiritual immaturity.

The first came from listening to the testimonies of a group of ministers from central India when my ministry hosted over a dozen Christian leaders for a retreat. These men serve under the guidance of the Central India Christian Mission. Unlike the southern section of India, Christians comprise less than one percent of the population in the central area, which is dominated by Hindus and Muslims.

Since they are vastly outnumbered, Christians are often regarded as a fringe group and a threat to centuries of religious tradition. Many unbelievers in India are hostile to the church. One minister related the time bullets riddled his home. Two others told of their cars being pelted with rocks that shattered their windshields as they weaved through a crowd of angry protesters. Another reported a pastor and his two sons being burned to death when protestors blew up their trapped vehicle.

These stories of persecution, told against a backdrop of a spirit of courage and joy, reminded me how spoiled I am as a Christian. I sometimes complain about such “persecution” as a hostile tweet or a negative Facebook comment. In reality I haven’t suffered much for Christ. After being pampered and protected for years, I need to toughen up!

Love story

The second humbling took place during my participation in a funeral service for a woman named Vicki Catinna. Fifty-one years ago Vicki’s husband, Jim, stood in front of a preacher and vowed to be faithful to his wife in sickness and health. At the time he had no idea what that would mean, but he kept that vow as well as anyone I’ve ever seen.

Jim and Vicki had a wonderful marriage for 40 years. However, dementia struck Vicki in her late 50’s. Within a year she didn’t even recognize Jim. Regardless of her unpredictable behavior and a sudden lack of companionship, Jim tenderly and unapologetically cared for Vicki.

For more than a decade, Jim patiently dressed her, fed her, walked her and sang hymns with her. He took Vickie to the zoo scores of times because she loved animals. Yet Jim never complained, commenting instead: “I could never repay Vicki for all the love she’s given to me.”

At the funeral home, when asked, “When was the last time Vicki responded to you?” Jim said, “Four years ago I was changing her diaper and singing her favorite song, ‘Jesus loves me this I know.’ About the fourth or fifth time I sang it, she brightened up and sang a line with me. I’ve treasured that moment for the last four years.”

Uncommon loyalty

Jim’s actions demonstrate genuine love and uncommon loyalty. This is a depth of love that those who are merely infatuated with another person have not yet experienced. This kind of profound mystery provides an encouraging example of God’s faithful love for us.

The more I learned about Jim’s incredible care-giving, the more I felt embarrassed by my lack of it. Last spring my wife, Judy, first experienced some arthritic pain in her knees. It occasionally slows her down. I find myself straining at the bit over the simple act of walking a little slower. Judy’s mind is clear and her devotion to me remains. She is still the same wonderful person. Yet I chafe a little under the meager challenge of slowing down.

God’s Word instructs me to love my wife as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for it. I’m reminded again of how weak I am in many areas of my Christian life. Almost 70 years old, I should be a lot more mature than I am.

Thanks for the memories

Years ago, we took our two new daughters-in-law along with our sons on an extensive vacation. Kellie and Lisa thrilled me when we drove into our driveway and they blurted out together, “Thanks for spoiling us!” That expression of appreciation was all I needed to hear. It had been my privilege.

I find myself using that expression these days when I pray: “Lord, thanks for spoiling me.” He has! I have been blessed with an influential ministry, a wonderful family and incredibly good health. I am so spoiled! My challenge is to grow up a little and be more grateful and patient. I am thankful for God’s patience and the grace He extends to me.

That is one of the reasons Ephesians 3:20-21 is one of my favorite passages of Scripture: “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen.”

We need to be grateful all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment